Morskie Oko Mountain Hut of the Polish Tourist and Sightseeing Society (PTTK), situated at 1410 m a.s.l., comprises two buildings: the New Hut and the Old Hut.
The New Hut
The New Hut boasts a history of over 100 years, including many changes, renovations and refurbishments. Nowadays it is a modern tourist facility, comfortable in summer, warm in winter, with amazing views from its room windows. The New Hut offers 36 beds:
- 3 triple rooms with bunk beds and washbasins, on the first floor, with magnificent views from the windows. In high season (June-September) these rooms are booked well in advance. Bathroom and shower are within 10 m of the rooms.
- 1 room for 4 on the second floor, for a family or a group of friends. Shower on the first floor. A nice and cosy room with a spectacular view from the window.
- 1 room for 5 on the second floor. Spacious, warm and bright. A view to the east – from Żabie mountainside to Mount Rysy.
- 3 rooms for 6 including the special room no. 9 with a balcony and a view to the south. Despite being a six-bed dorm with bunk beds, it is the one and only for many people! There is another six-bed dorm on the second floor, a warm room with a view to the west – from Mount Mnich to Opalone.
All beds in the New Hut are provided with bed linen. There are shared showers on the first floor and in the basement. Boiling water is available round-the-clock, kettles are in the halls. In the Hut there are also: a left luggage office, a notice board of the Tatra Volunteer Search and Rescue (TOPR) with weather forecast and current weather conditions in the mountains, as well as a clothes and boots dryer. The kitchen on the ground floor, open from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. in high season, serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The kitchen offers free boiling water to tourists with their own utensils. The “Buffet” shop sells basic tourist equipment, publications, souvenirs and sweets. Quiet hours from 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
The Old Hut
The Old Hut, also known as Wozownia (the Coach House) – the oldest existing mountain hut in the Polish Tatra Mountains – is located near the New Hut and functions as a shelter. The reception desk is in the New Hut. The Old Hut has 43 tourist-standard beds in 3 dorms. In room no. 3 (for 14 people) there are bunk beds, in rooms no. 5 and no. 6 (for 13 and 16 people respectively) there are plank beds. The Old Hut offers also a tourist kitchen, boiling water and full bathroom facilities. Quiet hours from 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
History of Morskie Oko Mountain Hut began in 1874 when, by efforts of the Tatra Society, a small building was constructed, overlooking Morskie Oko Lake. After extension, the Hut could accommodate 50 people and in spite of rather basic amenities it was very popular among tourists visiting Morskie Oko Lake until 1898 when the building was completely destroyed by fire.
The work on the new hut began in 1907. In the meantime, Wozownia (the Couch House – present Old Hut) served as a shelter. The new Hut was opened in 1908 and is still used today. The interwar period was a time of constant extension and modernization of the building. During the World War II a unit of German Border Guards was stationed in the Hut.
The post-war years have been inseparably connected with the Łapiński family. In 1945-1980 the Hut was run by Wanda Łapińska and Czesław Łapiński. Next, until 1985, the Hut was managed by Wojciech – son of Wanda and Czesław. After his premature death, it was taken over by his wife Maria who has been in charge of the Hut until today, with daughter Patrycja and son Jakub.